Taoist Qigong Level 3
with David Stone
August 10 / 8:30 AM - August 11 / 6:00 PM
Prerequisite: Taoist Qigong Level 2, as taught by the lineage transmitted by Dr. Eva Wong
This weekend will include talks, detailed instruction, Q & A, and lots of qigong practice.
- Talk: The Gourd and the Cauldron - The Interactive Influences Between Chinese Medicine and Taoism
- Hua Tu’s Five Animal Forms—Tiger for tendon strengthening, Bear for bone strengthening, Deer for preserving generative energy, Monkey for training agility, and Bird for training balance and lifting energy.
- Immortals’ Guide to Self Massage and Breath regulation, Part 1—This system combines self-massage and breath control to facilitate the conservation and circulation of internal energy.
- Chen Xiyi’s Red Phoenix Calisthenics System, Part 1—This system combines tendon-changing, calisthenics, self-massage, and breath regulation. Originated in the 11th century, the Red Phoenix Calisthenics is unique to Xiantianwujimen qigong. Both sets are used to familiarize the practitioner with different forms of breath control to open blockages in the meridians, align the spinal column for circulation of qi from the base of the spine to the crown of the head, and enhance tendon, bone, and muscular strength. Both forms have not been taught outside of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China.
- Students will learn four more postures of the Yiquan Zhangzhuan (Standing Qigong) system.
Suggested Reading (not required)
The Taoist view for these teachings can be found in Eva Wong's book, Nourishing the Essence of Life, available at the Shambhala Center bookstore.
About the Instructor
David Stone has been studying and practicing Taoist qigong under the guidance of Dr. Eva Wong, who is a 19th generation carrier of the Xiantianwujimen (Primordial Limitless Gate School) lineage since 2006. Dr. Wong has authorized David as an instructor in the lineage’s graduated program of qigong training. He is also a meditation instructor and shastri (senior teacher) in the Shambhala buddhist lineage. Mr. Stone studied with master Five Element acupuncturist Dr. J.R. Worsley and has practiced acupuncture in that tradition since 1995, currently in Chicagoland.
All Taoist Qigong retreats are excluded from Shambhala Chicago's generosity policy. Qigong students who will be repeating the level may receive a 25% discount (pay 0 instead of 0). If you are repeating, pay the 0 deposit and play to pay the balance on the day of the class. Please use the comments section of the online registration form to let us know that you are repeating.