Heart of Recovery
May 26 / 7:00 PM - May 26 / 8:30 PM
Heart of Recovery Group
Meditation for people in recovery
Meeting on Tuesdays from 7:00pm - 8:30pm
There is no charge for the meetings, but donations towards the operating costs of the Vancouver Shambhala Center are welcomed.
The Heart of Recovery is a meditation and discussion group at the Vancouver Shambhala Center bringing together the practice of meditation, Shambhala and Buddhist teachings with references to the 12 steps of recovery.
The meeting is open to all:
- Who are interested in exploring the relationship of meditation to the recovery from addictive use of substances.
- Buddhist practitioners from any tradition.
- 12 Step practitioners from any program.
Meditation Instruction Available
No meditation experience is necessary. A brief meditation instruction is given at the start of each meeting. Newcomers will learn basic meditation techniques to enhance, not replace, their own recovery program.
Meeting Format Includes:
- Sitting meditation instruction and practice
- A topic offering in the form of a brief share or reading by the facilitator
- Discussion and exploration by group members
- Sharing our personal experience, strength and hope
While many meeting discussions will reference the 12 Steps, it is not a 12 Step group meeting. The Heart of Recovery meeting is intended to support individuals in recovery whether or not they are currently in a 12 Step program of recovery. The Heart of Recovery is not intended to replace 12 Step groups, in-patient or out-patient rehab programs, or any other model of recovery. The common factor is that addiction has touched all of us in some way and we are looking for some way to understand what that means. We recognize that the anonymity and confidentiality of all who attend are essential.