" width="150" align="right">
The Art of a True Move: an Introduction to Social Presencing Theater
February 16 / 1:00 PM - February 16 / 4:30 PM
No experience needed. Bring your curiosity, and your sense of practice and fun! Pre-register now or just show up on Sunday Feb 16! (Suggestion: bring writing materials and wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes.)
Social Presencing is a facilitated group practice of personal and social transformation through body awareness, deep listening, and movement. Drawing on Shambhala teachings, as well as embodiment practices, the arts, and systems thinking, Social Presencing brings these into organizational and social change efforts to offer both a practice and a strategy for creating a society that’s more self-aware. Here’s an interview with Acharya Arawana Hayashi about it.
Recognizing how we are connected and how we might be stuck is the first skillful step to move out of social shock, reaction, and fear, enabling tolerance and acceptance of each other’s views. Then we can seek opportunities for a shared ground of solutions for what currently appears to be international government and leadership dilemmas.
If you’d like to learn more, sign up or have a look at these short videos.
- The Impact of Social Presencing Theater (Created by Otto Scharmer and Arawana Hayashi)
- Four Levels of Listening - Otto Scharmer U Lab - part 1 -
- Levels of Listening - Otto Scharmer U Lab - part 2 -
Two opportunities to explore Social Presencing with other Portland sangha members:
- This program on February 16 at the Portland Shambhala Center is being led by Annie Blair and Carol Zahner, who are now certified to teach Social Presencing. (Note that "Art of the True Move", which we have appropriated as a title for this event, is a specific practice that Acharya Hayashi offers. Her programs go beyond the Social Presencing focus that is being offered in this afternoon program.)
- If you want to go further, Embodied Facilitation and Case Studies Weekend Workshop with Annie Blair and Carol Zahner on February 21-23, 2020 at The Process Work Institute, 2049 NW Hoyt St., Portland, OR 97209. The presenters have generously offered a discount to Shambhala folks (0 registration): call the Process Institute to register at 503-223-8188. Click here for more program information.
We are planning to offer regular Social Presencing events at the Portland Shambhala Center in the future.
NOTE: We suggest a donation, but your presence itself is a contribution so the money is not required!